Amtrak Service Notices & Travel Tips
Page updated on 10/8/2020
Long Distance Schedules Change to Tri-Weekly
Effective October 2020
Due to COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting decrease in travel demand, most Amtrak long distance routes will operate tri-weekly beginning this October.
- California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle
- The Auto Train will continue to operate daily between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.
- The Silver Meteor and Silver Star will continue to operate a combined daily service between New York City and Miami, effective July 6, 2020.
- Cardinal and Sunset Limited will continue to operate on their current tri-weekly service.
- The new schedule reflects day of week changes only. All stations along the route will be served on days in which Amtrak service is offered and all scheduled departure/arrival times will remain the same.
- The new schedule is designed to preserve east-west and west-east connections. The long-distance hub in Chicago will offer arrivals and departures primarily on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Customers will continue to have the option to book coach or a private room.
- Customers traveling the Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited and Palmetto will also have the option to book in Business Class.
Impacted customers with existing reservations are being re-accommodated. For more information, see the details below or visit Amtrak.com and click on "Schedules."
Effective Week of October 5, 2020
Train #5 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #6 (Eastbound) departs Emeryville, CA: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #29 (Westbound) departs Washington, DC: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #30 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
City of New Orleans
Train #58 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #59 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #19 (Southbound) departs New York: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #20 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday
Effective Week of October 12, 2020
Train #11 (Southbound) departs Seattle: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #14 (Northbound) departs Los Angeles: Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Lake Shore Limited
Train #48 (Eastbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #49 (Westbound) departs New York: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #448 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #449 (Westbound) departs Boston: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #3 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #4 (Eastbound) departs Los Angeles: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #21 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #22 (Northbound) departs San Antonio: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Effective Week of October 19, 2020
Train #7 (Westbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #8 (Eastbound): departs Seattle: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #27 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #28 (Eastbound) departs Portland, OR: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #89 (Southbound) departs New York: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #90 (Northbound) departs Savanah: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Amtrak Adjusts Service for City of New Orleans,
Crescent and Sunset Limited Trains Due to Hurricane Delta
Effective October 7, 2020
Amtrak has adjusted its schedule and services on the following routes due the forecasted landfall of Hurricane Delta.
- Sunset Limited, Trains 1 & 2, normally operates tri-weekly between New Orleans and Los Angeles, via San Antonio. Instead, eastbound Train 2 from Los Angeles on Oct. 9 will terminate in San Antonio and westbound Train 1 will originate in San Antonio on Oct. 13. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and San Antonio.
- Crescent, Trains 19 & 20, normally operates between New Orleans and New York City, via Atlanta. Instead, southbound Train 19 from New York on Oct. 9 will terminate in Atlanta and northbound Train 20 will originate in Atlanta on Oct. 11. No substitute transportation is available between Atlanta and New Orleans.
- City of New Orleans, Trains 58 & 59, normally operates between New Orleans and Chicago. Instead, southbound Train 59 from Chicago is canceled on Oct. 8 and northbound Train 58 from New Orleans is canceled on Oct. 9. Substitute transportation is only available from Carbondale, Ill., and points north on Amtrak Illini and Saluki trains.
Substitute transportation will not be available. Here is what you can do to stay informed:
- Call 1-800-USA-RAIL if your trip has been impacted and change or cancelation fees will be waived
- Visit Amtrak.com or download the Amtrak app for the latest information on train status
- Subscribe to delay alerts for any train via email or text message at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts
- Follow @AmtrakNEC and @AmtrakAlerts on Twitter for real-time service information on Amtrak trains
This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
California Zephyr Schedule Changes
Effective October 5 - 12, 2020
Track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad on the Moffat Tunnel will affect California Zephyr Train 5, as outlined below:
October 5 - 12, 2020
- Train 5 is cancelled.
- Train 1105 will operate in lieu of Train 5 between Chicago and Denver. It will hold at Denver until 10:05 am, 2 hours later than Train 5’s normal schedule, operating on a later schedule at all stations from Denver to Emeryville.
- Due to the schedule change, on Tuesdays October 6 and 13, there will be no westbound service at Salt Lake City.
Limited-Time Offer on Auto Train Roomettes
Save on some personal space! Now for a limited time, book a Roomette on the Auto Train and you’ll get to bring a companion for free.
While others sit bumper-to-bumper on I-95, you and a friend can sit back and relax in spacious private seating – all with your vehicle along for the ride. Simply pack your car with everything you need for your travels, bring it to the station and leave the long-distance driving behind.
And, with newly enhanced bedding, access to a private restroom and shower down the hall, a dedicated sleeping car attendant and complimentary dining, you can travel comfortably in your safety bubble while skipping the worry and wear-and-tear of the road.
To receive this discount, use the Fare Finder above or enter code C241 when booking your trip on the Amtrak app. This offer is valid on Auto Train Roomettes only. An advanced reservation of at least 3 days is required.
Book from October 1 – 11 for travel from October 4, 2020 – December 17, 2020. Blackout dates are November 27 – December 2, 2020. Restrictions apply.
Terms and Conditions
- For sale October 1 – 11, 2020
- For travel October 4 – December 17, 2020
- Blackout dates: November 27 – December 2, 2020.
- Paying adult and free companion must travel in the same room and reserve in same reservation.
- Advance reservations are required a minimum of three (3) days prior to travel.
- Offer is valid on Auto Train Roomettes only.
- Space is subject to availability.
- Offer is not transferrable and is not combinable with any other discount offer.
- In addition to the discount restrictions; this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts, and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Once travel has begun; no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Sleeper cancellation rules apply.
- Cancel at least 15 days prior to scheduled departure, a 25% cancellation applies. Rooms cancelled less than 15 days prior to scheduled departure and prior to departure will receive a non-refundable eVoucher and a 25% cancellation fee will apply.
- Please refer to discount code C241.
- Other restrictions may apply.
As of September 30 a total of 1,220 TravelReview Surveys have been submitted
As you travel, please help us promote the Travel Review with other rail passengers. As you encounter passengers who want to make their positive and negative opinions known, please direct them to www.railpassengers.org/Travel Review. All participants will remain anonymous. If you encounter any problems with the Travel Review, or have any questions, please send an email to [email protected]
Do You Need More TravelReview Feedback Cards?
Please help us to spread the word. We need your help in engaging other passengers when you travel and let them know that their feedback is welcomed by RailPax. To facilitate this sharing of information the TravelReview Feedback Card is now available for you to download and print for regular usage. The card can be given to fellow passengers to introduce the work that RailPax is doing as well as our desire to have their feedback. The cards can also be left behind in stations as you pass through.
The template is in a .pdf format and will open in Adobe document cloud. First download the file and save it to your desktop for easy access. Then print as needed. The original template is formatted for Avery 5871 or 5371 cardstock which are both 2” x 3½” business card formats. Any brand cardstock should function as long as the dimensions match.
If you experience any problems in accessing the file, please send an email to [email protected]
"Thank you to Jim Mathews and the Rail Passengers Association for presenting me with this prestigious award. I am always looking at ways to work with the railroads and rail advocates to improve the passenger experience."
Congressman Dan Lipinski (IL-3)
February 14, 2020, on receiving the Association's Golden Spike Award