Amtrak Service Notices & Travel Tips
Page updated on 7/30/2020
Northeast Corridor Service Schedule Changes
Effective Aug. 3 through Sept. 6, 2020
Due to track and infrastructure improvements being performed along the Northeast Corridor, schedule changes will affect some Acela and Northeast Regional trains beginning Aug. 3, as outlined below:
Trains 91, 125, 155, 176, 195 and 2167:
Scheduled departure and arrival times of Acela and Northeast Regional trains above may change by 1 to 7 minutes in both directions between New York and Washington, D.C.
Trains 133, 134, 137, 178, 182 and 189:
- Train 133 will operate New York to Washington, D.C. on Fridays.
- Train 134 will operate Washington, D.C. to New York on Thursday and Friday, only.
- Trains 137 and 178 will operate roundtrip between Boston and Washington, D.C. Monday through Friday.
- Train 182 will operate Monday through Friday from Washington, D.C. to New York.
- Train 189 will operate New York to Washington, D.C. on Sundays.
San Joaquins Route 12 Thruway Service Schedule Changes
Effective August 1, 2020
San Joaquins Route 12 Thruway service is suspending certain schedules and stops as outlined below:
Buses 3410 and 3415:
Buses 3410 and 3415 are suspended and will no longer serve Victorville, Little Rock, Palmdale, Lancaster, Mojave and Tehachapi bus stops.
Alvand Transportation Buses 5612 and 5619:
Alvand Transportation Buses 5612 and 5619 will begin serving Tehachapi, Mojave, Barstow Train Station, Barstow Bus Stop, Las Vegas RTC Strip Terminal and Las Vegas Greyhound Bus Stop.
San Joaquins Route 18 Thruway Service Schedule Changes
Effective August 1, 2020
San Joaquins Route 18 Thruway service is suspending certain schedules and stops as outlined below:
Buses 6703, 6704, 6710 and 6715:
Buses 6703, 6704, 6710 and 6715 are suspended and will no longer serve Visalia and Goshen Junction bus stops
Track Work Affects Palmetto and Carolinian Service
Effective July 20, 2020
Effective on Monday, July 20, track work will be performed between Rocky Mount, NC, and Petersburg, VA, causing delays.
During this time, Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 and Carolinian Trains 79 and 80, may be delayed up to 90 minutes.
City of New Orleans Trains 58 and 59 Illini/Saluki Trains 390 and 393
Homewood, IL, Station Accessibility Improvement Project
Effective July 27, 2020
Effective Monday, July 27, Amtrak will begin a station accessibility improvement project at the Homewood, IL, station. Phase 1 of the project is expected to be completed in April 2021. During Phase 1, the Homewood station will be closed and not served by Amtrak trains. Amtrak Illini/Saluki and City of New Orleans service will be adjusted as outlined below:
- Platform will be closed.
- The waiting room and restrooms will be closed for interior renovation. A temporary waiting room and restrooms will be installed near the station building.
- Portions of the parking lot will be closed for construction staging. The existing pay box shelter will be relocated to an accessible area.
- Passengers booking travel to/from Homewood between July 27, 2020 through March 31, 2021 will see on the website that part of the route will be served by buses.
Alternate Transportation to and from Kankakee, IL
- Amtrak will provide chartered buses between the Homewood and Kankakee Amtrak stations for customers traveling to or from points south of Homewood. This will be shown as Buses 4058, 4059, 4390 and 4393 when booking and on tickets or boarding documents.
- No alternate transportation will be offered between Homewood and Chicago.
- Customers destined for Amtrak connections in Chicago can choose to board at Kankakee or use Metra service from Homewood and self-transfer from Metra’s Millennium or Van Buren stations to Chicago Union Station, or board at Joliet and utilize Lincoln Service or Texas Eagle trains
Interline Thruway Service Between Lincoln City, OR and Tillamook, OR
Effective immediately, Amtrak will start selling Interline Thruway Service between Lincoln City and Tillamook, providing connections at both Salem and Portland stations.
Buses 8983, 8984, 8985, 8986, 8987 and 8988 will offer service between Lincoln City and Salem, with intermediate stops at Otis Rose Lodge Eastbound, Otis Rose Lodge Westbound, Grand Ronde Community Center, Grand Ronde Spirit Mountain Casino, Rickreall and Salem.
Buses 8989, 8990, 8991 and 8992 will offer service between Tillamook and Portland, with intermediate stops at Tillamook Transit Visitor Center, Banks, North Plains, Hillsboro, Portland Sunset Transit Station and Portland Union Station.
San Joaquins Route 19 Thruway Service Schedule Changes
Effective August 1, 2020
San Joaquins Route 19 Thruway service is suspending certain schedules and stops as outlined below:
Buses 5410 and 5417
- Buses 5410 and 5417 will no longer serve Hemet, Sun City/Menifee, Perris and Moreno Valley bus stops.
Buses 5402, 5412, 5415 and 5419
- Buses 5402, 5412, 5415 and 5419 will no longer serve Indio, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Palm Springs Airport and Cabazon bus stops. Alternate Surfliner train and bus service remains available to the above Coachella Valley stops. Please check Amtrak.com for latest availability.
Elevator/Escalator Project Providence, RI, Station
Effective July 27, 2020
The Providence station is undergoing an Elevator and Escalator update project beginning July 27. The project will start with the garage elevator leading to the station. The elevator will be out of service as of July 27, until further notice.
Allow Extra Time – Don’t Miss Your Train Customers using the stairs may need to allow extra time to get to the boarding platform.
Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98
Effective July 6, 2020
Beginning July 6, the Silver Meteor and Silver Star will operate on alternating days, offering one daily train between New York and Miami, as outlined below.
Silver Star Trains 91 and 92
- Southbound Train 91 will depart New York on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- Northbound Train 92 will depart Miami on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98
- Southbound Train 97 will depart New York on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- Northbound Train 98 will depart Miami on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday
Silver Star and Silver Meteor Changes
- Expanded capacity will be offered for each departure
- Five fully refreshed Amfleet II Coach cars offering new seating cushions, carpets, curtains, LED reading lights and ample space for physical distancing
- Three Viewliner Sleeping cars offer customers the option to book a private Bedroom or Roomette for their trip
- One Amfleet Café Car offering meals, snacks, and beverages for sale
- One Viewliner II Sleeper Lounge offering an exclusive space for customers in private rooms with flexible dining service available
- Daily service to Tampa will be offered via the Silver Star or the Amtrak Thruway bus connection to the Silver Meteor at Orlando
- Additional daily service will be offered on the Palmetto between New York and Savannah, including intermediate points, on the Carolinian, between New York and Raleigh, including intermediate points and between Washington, D.C., and the Orlando areas on the Auto Train
Book Now Through August 31 for Travel Through September 12
Plan a trip in the Northeast aboard Northeast Regional and Acela. Book your travel 14 days in advance to save on convenient downtown-to-downtown service. Plus, no change fees through August 31.
What to Expect Onboard
- Enhanced and more frequent cleaning on train and in stations, as well as limiting the number of passengers to support physical distancing
- A mandatory mask-on policy
- Limited bookings on most trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas. Individuals traveling alone will have the seat next to them to themselves, while friends and family members will easily find seats together.
- Arrive at the station minutes before departure for quick and easy boarding
- Large comfortable leather seats, with plenty of space and legroom
- Free WiFi and power outlets at your seat
- Oversized luggage storage for up to four bags — yes, four free bags.
- Contact free ticketing through the Amtrak app
- Learn more about travel protocol and procedures
Terms and Conditions
- Offer applies to travel on the Northeast Regional and Acela train services only.
- For sale July 1 – August 31, 2020.
- For travel through September 12, 2020.
- Advance reservations are required a minimum of three (3) to fourteen (14) days prior to travel.
- Blackouts apply on the following dates: November 24–25 and November 28–30, 2020.
- Exchanges and refunds can be processed upon customer request for purchases through August 31, 2020.
- Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
- Fares are subject to availability.
- One child age 2–12 may accompany each adult at half fare.
- This offer is valid for Northeast Regional coach and Acela Business Class seats only; no upgrades permitted.
- This offer is not combinable with any other discount offer.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Once travel has begun no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Other restrictions may apply.
As you travel, please help us promote the Travel Review with other rail passengers. As you encounter passengers who want to make their positive and negative opinions known, please direct them to www.railpassengers.org/Travel Review. All participants will remain anonymous. If you encounter any problems with the Travel Review, or have any questions, please send an email to [email protected]
Do You Need More TravelReview Feedback Cards?
Please help us to spread the word. We need your help in engaging other passengers when you travel and let them know that their feedback is welcomed by RailPax. To facilitate this sharing of information the TravelReview Feedback Card is now available for you to download and print for regular usage. The card can be given to fellow passengers to introduce the work that RailPax is doing as well as our desire to have their feedback. The cards can also be left behind in stations as you pass through.
The template is in a .pdf format and will open in Adobe document cloud. First download the file and save it to your desktop for easy access. Then print as needed. The original template is formatted for Avery 5871 or 5371 cardstock which are both 2” x 3½” business card formats. Any brand cardstock should function as long as the dimensions match.
If you experience any problems in accessing the file, please send an email to [email protected]
"The National Association of Railroad Passengers has done yeoman work over the years and in fact if it weren’t for NARP, I'd be surprised if Amtrak were still in possession of as a large a network as they have. So they've done good work, they're very good on the factual case."
Robert Gallamore, Director of Transportation Center at Northwestern University and former Federal Railroad Administration official, Director of Transportation Center at Northwestern University
November 17, 2005, on The Leonard Lopate Show (with guest host Chris Bannon), WNYC New York.